The Grape Count


In Vino Veritas- "In Wine there is Truth"
Grapes to try to date: 200

Grapes tried: 104
Grapes to go:
96

Friday, January 8, 2010

The Grape Tasting Process

For the amount of time I've thought about doing this little project, one would think I have a process in place to analyze the wine.

I don't.

The point of all of this is to try new wines I would normally never consider. I imagine that I will discover wines that I love and there will be some I'm sure I'll never try again.

Tonight, I start with wine #1- the Chardonnay. I've never really met a Chardonnay that I like yet. I guess I'm starting with this very popular grape for two reasons:

a) If I still hate it, it's over and done with
b) If I like it, then this has been a very good start to this little project

I have just over an hour before my brother gets here so I should be getting dinner ready.

In each post, I'll tell you the grape, the name of the wine (sometimes different from the grape), the name of the winery, vintage year, country, the cost of the bottle of wine and where I bought it.

I'll also try to describe the wine and what I'm taking from it. I'm not a wine expert by any stretch of the imagination but I am able to pick out flavours and some of the subtleties that come with each wine.

Plus, I'll cover my butt here and provide information or links to other websites that describe the grape in detail.

I'll also let you know how the food pairing goes. I have a couple of cookbooks that are acting as initial pairing guides. My goal is to better my cooking abilities and if I happen to get a little drunk along the way, well so be it!

Finally, I'll give you my overall opinion of the wine, thumbs up or thumbs down. Anyone who joins me tasting the grape is also welcome to share their opinion as well.

And pictures will be included as well.

If you have suggestions for upcoming grapes to try, please shoot me a comment (and if you have a food suggestion as well, I'm all ears).

Now, off to roast some cauliflower...

No comments:

Post a Comment