The Grape Count


In Vino Veritas- "In Wine there is Truth"
Grapes to try to date: 200

Grapes tried: 104
Grapes to go:
96

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wine #3- Riesling

"It takes like juice." That's how my brother described the Riesling. And then he followed it up with "best one so far". My mom, quickly stealing a taste from his wine glass, quickly agreed. This one was heck of a wine. And I'd have to agree.

The Riesling is a fabulous white wine. It's typically sweeter wine and this one, on the scale of 1-5 for sweetness (with 5 being the sweetest), this bottle of wine was a 4 (so yes, it was almost like drinking juice).


I did try this wine last week though I'm late writing about it. I will play catch up. Last weekend was a little wild and crazy as I was busy babysitting my nephew Owen. He hasn't stayed over in a while so our weekend was full of lots of activity and pizza! So pizza and wine it was...not what I planned to drink with the Riesling but it worked I have to say.

For those of you who are not looking for a wine that leaves an aftertaste, this is a good wine. It's a great wine to serve to people who aren't wine drinkers or even anti-wine. It's a very easy wine to drink and pairs well with seafood, chicken and...well, it's great by itself as well. I found it to be very crisp and full of flavour.


I'll be honest. I wasn't sure which Riesling to try but while I was a the liquor store (Liquor on McLeod in Spruce Grove), I overheard a man say you couldn't go wrong with a Deinhard. So that narrowed my pick. I eventually picked out the Deinhard Piesporter Goldtropfchen Riesling (2007).

A riesling wine is pretty acidic in nature, floral or fruity and taste and is considered a flyweight wine (hence why it's so easy to drink and recommended as a great beginner wine). And boy did this wine have legs on it (a good sign and usually and indication that i's a good quality wine!)


So, go out and get yourself a good riesling and enjoy. Next week, I try out a Gamay (and it's Canadian too...)

No comments:

Post a Comment