The Grape Count


In Vino Veritas- "In Wine there is Truth"
Grapes to try to date: 200

Grapes tried: 104
Grapes to go:
96

Thursday, February 17, 2011

#59- Aligote

Aligote- je t'aime! Oui, c'est vrai, cette vin ici est delicieux! In case you don't speak French (drink it and you will), I really liked this wine and thought it was delicious!

Maison Jeffelin is the winery in Beaune, France (House of Jaffelin) and the wine, the Bourgogne Aligote was purchased at the Liquor Depot in Callingwood for $20.49.

The Aligote grape is grown primarily in the Burgandy region of France as well as other parts of Eastern Europe. What's interesting about this grape is it can be referred to as the poor cousin to the Chardonnay and this grape actually did remind me of the Chardonnay- except for one thing- I liked this wine much better! It's not nearly as acidic and is much lighter (in colour and in taste)- it's almost like the wine grabbed the good stuff about a Chardonnay and discarded what I often hate about the Chardonnay. It's not oaky and it's not an overwhelming taste in your mouth. In other words, it's refreshing!

With this being a French wine, I paired the wine with a French pizza- aptly named the Parisien. One of my favourite cities on earth, this pizza was a beautiful reminder of the city (and better actually than the pizza I had in Paris- that had more to do with the shit service we had that day but nonetheless). The pizza was Tuscan style chicken on flatbread. Fabulous!! I hate to admit this but I ate the whole pizza myself that night. I'm pretty sure I hadn't eaten at all that day so I'm justifying eating a 1150 calorie pizza (and two glasses of wine) to myself so just go with it okay?

I haven't brought this wine over to mom's or Kristin's so I don't know how they'll react to the wine but I'll let you know soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment