The Grape Count


In Vino Veritas- "In Wine there is Truth"
Grapes to try to date: 200

Grapes tried: 104
Grapes to go:
96

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

#93- Schiopettino

On the 1st day of Wine-mas my true self gave to me- a bottle of Schioppettino!

So the first day of my 12 days of wine drinking has started off well. The bottle is delicious and the only reason I'm not polishing off this bottle is because I have an 8 hour video shoot tomorrow and I'm directing so I have to be alert and on top of things; not hungover.

So two glasses of this beautiful red wine is all I've allowed myself for tonight. But damn! Both glasses were exceptionally lovely.

Paired with a small Sicilian pizza, this was a beautiful pairing. I can't take credit for making the pizza- it's actually Boston Pizza pizza- I had a business meeting. And now enough about my busy life. I still find time for a glass of wine. I have to add that the wine also goes very nicely with Christmas chocolate. I'm just sayin'


In fact, I'm allowing myself another glass. It just doesn't feel right to be writing about the wine and not sipping on it.

The first thing I noticed about this wine is how purple it is! Maybe I'm wanting to see purple after I was at the Prince concert last night (Purple Rain was aaaa-mmmaaaaa-zing!) or it's actually purple. I could have chosen raspberry (raspberry beret anyone?) but it's definitely too dark to be that.

The wine is fairly light bodied but it's got a kick at the end for sure. Definitely full of red berries- I get strawberries and raspberries on the nose and tongue. It's a bit peppery as well- a nice little kick to it. But there's also a very distinct earthy aroma as well. And mineral like- hints of iron. definitely leaves a metallic taste on the tongue. But it's just so lovely. The wine is very balanced.

I can't find much on this wine and maybe I'm doing a poor search of it but I can't seem to find a website for the winery itself. But the schioppettino grape is a grape that nearly disappeared from the Fruili region of Italy. Thank God it didn't! The name means shotgun or crack and certainly that's how the flavours hit your mouth and surround your tastebuds.

Like I said before, the 1st day of Christmas wine blogging style has started off very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment